MEETING MINUTES – July 13, 2020
HECTOR CAMPBELL NEIGHBORHOOD DISTRICT ASSOCIATION
JULY 13, 2020
In attendance: David Aschenbrenner, Chair; David Hedges, Vice-Chair; Linda Hedges, Secretary/Treasurer; Milwaukie Police Captain Robbie Graves Sarah Smith, Park and Gardens Director, , Bob and Iona Lockwood and wife, Bernie Stout and one unidentified participant
- Meeting was called to order by Chair at 6:33pm with introductions
- Treasurer’s report: CCG: 570,81; $677.90 in checking, pending refund from ISNDA $98.75 for fireworks signs; $7510.23 savings Total available $8188.73
Linda Hedges made motion to approve purchase of fireworks signs, $98.75, seconded by Bernie Stout, unanimously approved.Action: Linda obtain check from ISNDA for ½ cost of $199.50.
- Minutes from last meeting approved unanimously. Moved by Bob Lockwood, seconded by Sarah Smith
- Weekly city memo is being distributed by email
- PSAC committee report: Rob Reynolds’ was not available to report. NOTE: Drive Slow signs may still be available from Rob to put in your yard. Contact him at email@example.com if you’re interested in getting a sign.
- Park and Gardens report: Sarah Smith reported the garden is looking in good shape, with wood chips delivered and garden debris pick up scheduled. Plants are in the ground and growing.
- Report from Captain Robbie Graves:
The Captain reported that several thousand people attended a family friendly peaceful demonstration at Milwaukie Bay Park on Tuesday, June 9th in the evening. Other smaller demonstrations have occurred since then.It’s been a busy June and early July, with a missing child who was found, a tragic hit and run that killed a small child on Wichita Avenue, a suicidal attempt with two officers having to jump into the Willamette River to rescue the person, armed robberies at the little store on Washington and the 7-11 stores on Linwood and Harmony and 42nd near Harrison. In response to a question, there are no photos of the suspects at this time. A new School Resource Officer has been appointed, Mark Inman, if/when school is back in session in the fall.There were 75 dispatched calls for illegal fireworks on July 4th.
The Milwaukie Police non-emergency phone number is 503-786-7500.
- “Monroe Apartments” or “Minthorn Commons” (as we prefer for it to be called) The developers would like to attend our September meeting to further discuss the development plans.
- Meek Street stormwater pipe project retention pond on Oak Street and Monroe appears to be finished. A question was asked about how safe the fencing around it is, how deep will the water be there. Action: David Aschenbrenner to follow up
- Home Avenue and Wood Avenue road work
Wood Avenue will only be repaved, no sidewalk in the budget
There seems to be a strong consensus among neighbors that a sidewalk that starts on the east side of Railroad Avenue and goes to Park, then crosses at an improved crosswalk to the west side and goes all the way to Railroad is the preferred design. It’s important to express your opinion to the staff who are planning this project. Please take this survey at www.surveymonkey.com/r/HomeAveSAFE(link is external) by July 31st.
- As it is apparent that social distancing requirements will prohibit our annual picnic, neighbors will be sent a postcard to encourage them to have their own family picnics in their front yards, in particular on the first Tuesday night of August 4th, National Night Out.
- The City is offering a class called Planning 101 if you would like to know more about the planning process. See city website https://www.milwaukieoregon.gov/planning/city-planning-101-virtual-class
13.New NDA website – hope to have it ready by end of July. Minutes will be posted there along with other information important to our neighborhood. If someone wants to discuss an issue directly with Mr. Aschenbrenner his phone number is 503-804-3837. And our email address is Hectorcampbellnda2020@gmail.com. Anyone who wants to receive our agenda, minutes, Friday city information memo should email us at the Hectorcampbellnda2020@gmail.com website to request being added to the NDA’s email distribution list. Agendas and minutes are also posted to the city’s website.
Meeting adjourned 7:03pm
Linda Hedges, Sec/Treas. July 13, 2020